10 May 2018
4 Free Family Friendly Events
by Discover Davis
Get ready for a weekend full of fun, free activities with the family in Davis County, Utah! Here’s a list of events taking place the weekend of May 19th, 2018:
LEGACY EVENTS CENTER
Great Salt Lake Bird Festival: May 18th & 19th
- Where: In buildings #2 & #3 – the South end of Legacy Events Center at 151 South 1100 West, Farmington, Utah
- When: Friday May 18th, 12pm to 7pm
Saturday May 19th, 9am to 5pm
What to expect at the Great Salt Lake Bird Festival:
- Family Program by Hawkwatch International
- Friday, 6pm to 7pm
- Scout Birding Merit Badge program ($5, leaders free)
- Saturday, 8am to 12pm
- Birdfeeder Craft led by Westminster College Great Salt Lake Institute
- Starting at 10am on Saturday, till supplies last
- Workshops: Saturday 9am to 2:30pm
- Student Art display
- Treats available for purchase: Shaved Ice & Kettle Corn
Safe Kids Day: May 19th
Safe Kids Day is a fun, free event to take the family to, and this year it’s the same day as Great Salt Lake Bird Festival, also at the Legacy Events Center, so you can enjoy both the same morning!
- Where: Legacy Events Center Arena (main building) at 151 South 1100 West, Farmington, Utah
- When: Saturday May 19th, 10am to 2pm
What to expect at Safe Kids Day:
- 300 free bike helmets sponsored by Intermountain Layton Hospital
- Fire trucks, ambulances & helicopters
- Inflatable slide provided by Davis Hospital and Medical Center
- Healthy Hero Camp obstacle course by Wee Care Pediatrics
- Teddy Bear Clinic by Intermountain Layton Hospital
- Food truck: Roasted Pleaser
BOUNTIFUL MAIN STREET
Chalk Art Festival: May 16th – 19th
This event is truly magical! Bountiful Main Street sidewalks become covered in chalk masterpieces, that amaze every year.
- Where: Bountiful Main Street at Center and Main Street in Bountiful, Utah
- When: May 16th – 19th, 2018
Stroll Main Street to see the chalk art and chat with local artists. While you’re there, browse more art at Bountiful Davis Arts Center, shop local boutiques and grab a bite to eat at Vito’s, Bun Basket N’ Bakery or Marcello’s.
Read our blog highlighting local artist, Trevor Wirth, who has participated in the Chalk Art Festival for multiple years: Get Inspired at the Chalk Festival
New Exhibits at Bountiful Davis Arts Center: May 18th – June 22nd
Also on Bountiful Main Street, head into BDAC to see six new art exhibits featuring nationally-exhibited artists and all-new works by local stars.
- Where: Bountiful Davis Arts Center at 90 North Main Street, Bountiful, Utah
- When: Exhibits on view May 18 – June 22, 2018
Opening Reception May 18, 6-8pm
What to expect at the gallery:
The BDAC lends a wonderful space for family connection, as curiosity strikes conversations. It’s also amazing to see how both children and adults can be inspired by creativity and wonder when at an art gallery.
Especially exciting will be viewing rarely-seen surreal master works by Charles Lassiter, an artist with severe agoraphobia (an anxiety disorder) who hid in his apartment for his final years of life. Lassiter’s art has been in exhibitions and collections internationally, including the MoMA and Met. This interesting man created amazing art that you can awe at until June 22nd. Learn more about Lassiter’s story: https://www.bdac.org/charles-lassiter
Appealing to the kids in the family, would be another featured artist in the new exhibits – Havoc Hendricks – who creates colorful, clean graphic art with mountains, moons, and bold pattern.
Connect with your family through a whole gallery full of unique works from May 18th till June 22nd, for free, at BDAC.
As you enjoy these free events in Davis County, Utah be sure to share your experiences with us using #PlayInDavis on social media.